RESULTS AS OF February 1, 2016
Survey will remain open. Results may be tallied again at a later date.
GA HB 243
Rep. Mark Hamilton of the 24th, Cumming
House Bill 243: Education Savings Accounts
A bill to enact Education Savings Accounts (ESA) to be applied to private school education. Passage of this legislation will allow the state to contribute state tax dollars (non-taxable to the family receiving the funds) to an education savings account for Georgia’s public school students to use at a private school. The bill stipulates:
- Funds deposited would be equivalent to the cost of the local public school.
- There shall be no limit on the number of students in the program.
- Funds allocated to the program are withheld from the local public school district.
- A private financial management firm will manage education savings accounts.
- Participating private schools must comply with federal anti-discrimination provisions, demonstrate fiscal soundness, and conduct criminal background checks on teachers.
- All participating students must take a nationally norm-referenced assessment.